E. Lynn Dougherty
A native of Radford, Virginia, I earned my law degree from the University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law in 1981. I then served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps until 1984, when I joined a large litigation firm in Norfolk, Virginia. In 1990, I moved my practice to Bristol, Tennessee. I represent individuals and businesses throughout northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia.
I have the unique distinction of being the only private attorney in Sullivan County who is Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 13 certified to argue death penalty cases. This certification requires extensive trial experience and proven, in-depth knowledge of death penalty defense strategy.
- Virginia, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, 1984
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals, 1986
- Tennessee and U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, 1990
- J.D., University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, 1981
- B.A., University of Richmond, 1977
- Lieut., U.S. Navy, JAGC, 1981–1984
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Tennessee Lawyer's Fund for Client Protection, Past Member and Chairman
- Tennessee Bar Foundation, Fellow
Contact E. Lynn Dougherty, Attorney at Law
I fight for you. Whether you are in need of quality legal counsel for your personal injury, family law, criminal defense or litigation matter, I stand ready to protect your best interests. Contact me online or call my office at 423-764-1313. My staff and I look forward to speaking with you.